Comments: davisville station

i like this one...very nice

Posted by Naimi at December 16, 2006 04:10 AM

Pardon by my English, I am using an automatic translator. The image transmits coldness and solitude, but the light that penetrates by the left changes that impression and gives a warm effect. Greetings.

Posted by Pere at December 16, 2006 04:26 AM

Nice interesting photo. I think the thing that puts the icing on the cake, so to speak, is the passenger on the opposite platform, positioned just right to fit the composition. He adds a touch of life to the scene. I notice he is carrying a plastic bag. Plastic bags are par for the course these days; they are everywhere. I often find that a good photo subject is ruined by the presence of plastic bags. They just seem to have such an alien texture in many situations; they don't blend in. Fortunately the one in this photo is not conspicuous.

Posted by Gavin Hart at December 16, 2006 05:13 AM

wow, i just viewed this on my girlfirends crappy ancient 800x600 monitor, and thought nothing special, and now i come home to my flatscreen...what a difference! great picture.

Posted by jesse at December 16, 2006 06:06 AM

That's about as ugly a looking subway station as I've ever seen. Rather bare essentials.

Posted by Hugh Petrie at December 16, 2006 06:52 AM

The composition here is very solid. The most impressive thing, it seems to me, is the way all the verticals and diagonals are counter-balanced — and "tensed-up" by the single strong horizontal, running through the Bell and "Online" signs, continuing with the section of the road bridge and being picked up by the almost horizontal line of the top of the shelter over the northbound platform. The colour is impressive too. Perhaps the yellows and silvers have been manipulated, but if so it's been done with enough restraint to avoid any feeling of phoniness.

Posted by forrest at December 16, 2006 08:52 AM

I love the perspective on this shot! Great photo!

Posted by Arieh Singer at December 16, 2006 09:22 AM

After years of viewing DDoI, you still amaze me. This time it is with the fantastic amount (and apparent "speed") of movement with which you can endow completly static subjects. Is it just a perfection of composition and balance?

Your achievements in the oposite affect, like fantasticly panned shots of passing cars, and even passing pumpkins, are great work; but this one is a miracle.

Posted by Ron at December 16, 2006 09:51 AM

Very nice colours

Posted by Susie at December 16, 2006 10:26 AM

hey, i check your site through an LJ feed, and i just have to say that i LOVE that the pics show up now instead of my having to click on a link.

thanks! and great photos :)

Posted by kristan at December 16, 2006 12:01 PM

Whats the purpose of those yellow things between the tracks?

Posted by Andrew at December 16, 2006 12:30 PM

great!@

Posted by shula at December 16, 2006 02:04 PM

somehow that looks much cleaner than it actually is :P

Posted by sikander at December 16, 2006 02:55 PM

I like how bright and open this location is and how you composed the shot with the straight vertical lines and horizontal line on the left and the curved and converging lines on the right. Great shot!

Posted by micki at December 16, 2006 03:00 PM

Nice station shot. Well done.

Posted by Djiwôm at December 16, 2006 05:11 PM

Excellent contrasts

Posted by Rob at December 16, 2006 09:06 PM

neat pic!

never seen the station from this angle before.

Posted by mel at December 17, 2006 12:49 AM

Andrew: Looks to me like those yellow barriers are meant to discourage people from getting out of the wrong side of the train if those doors were to open (in an emergency, perhaps?).

Posted by Eric S. Smith at December 17, 2006 12:09 PM

Once again Hugh Petrie shows his ignorance and lack of experience with the world in thinking that this is an ugly subway station. A ride through the Bronx on the #6 line would show him.

Posted by K at December 19, 2006 11:40 AM